How Does the Saturated Fat Content in Olive Oil Compare to Other Cooking Oils?

• I’ve been reading up on different cooking oils and their fat content, and I’m curious about how the saturated fat in olive oil compares to other oils like vegetable oil, canola oil, or even coconut oil. I know olive oil is often considered healthier, but I’m wondering how its saturated fat levels stack up against these alternatives. What have you all found in your research? And how does this affect recommendations for using olive oil in cooking?

• Awesome inquiry, Adam Jones! Olive oil is frequently a better choice in terms of saturated fat content than numerous other cooking oils. Typically, olive oil has an average of 14% saturated fat, while vegetable oil and canola oil generally contain approximately 7-8%. On the flip side, coconut oil contains a significantly higher amount of saturated fat, at approximately 82%. If you’re asking how much saturated fat in olive oil specifically, it usually comes out to about 2 grams per tablespoon. Olive oil is a commonly chosen cooking option due to its heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and lower saturated fat content. Furthermore, its bold taste can elevate numerous recipes!